+How can I schedule a visit to RISD Interior Architecture?

You may contact the Department of Interior Architecture to schedule a visit.

+How can I connect with current graduate students in RISD Interior Architecture?

You may contact the Graduate Program Director via email,, for a contact list of graduate program liaisons.

+What about diversity on campus?

RISD has 2,400 students from a wide variety of cultural backgrounds. Students come from all over the United States, and 19 percent of undergraduate students are from over 84 countries. Of undergraduate students, 20 percent are US citizens of African, Asian, Hispanic or Native American backgrounds. The Office of Intercultural Student Engagement is a resource center for students of color, international students, LGBTQ+ students, and first generation RISD students, that assists the community in shaping a culturally inclusive and supportive environment in which all members contribute to and benefit from their time at RISD.

+Is there a large international student population at RISD?

Both undergraduate and graduate students are highly diverse and come from Australia, Cambodia, China, France, Greece, India, Indonesia, Japan, Jordan, Kuwait, Lebanon, Mexico, New Zealand, Qatar, Saudi Arabia, Singapore, South Korea, Spain, Turkey, U.K., and the U.S.

+What resources does RISD have for international students?

RISD’s Office of International Student Services offers a range of support services including maintenance of visa status, academic advising and assistance with community and personal matters.

Another nearby resource is Buxton International House at Brown University, which is a home-away-from-home for international students studying in Rhode Island. Clubs and organizations at RISD that may be of interest include the RISD ACA (Asian Cultural Association), the Korean Student Association and the Latin Alliance.

+Who do I contact with questions about my international student visa (I-20)?

Pre-enrollment, contact Admissions at

After enrollment, contact the Office of International Student Services.

+How can I connect with my religious denomination while at RISD?

Members of the RISD community are invited to participate in a variety of religious services in Providence, many of which are within easy walking distance. Specifically suited for the college community are services offered by Brown University’s Office of the Chaplains and Religious Life, which offers services for students of many faiths. Brown RISD Hillel hosts services and events for Jewish students. To learn more about spirituality at RISD, including religious accommodation, and local places of worship, please contact the Office of Intercultural Student Engagement.

+What are the student governance organizations?

The undergraduate Student Alliance and the Graduate Student Alliance, through the RISD Center for Student Involvement, provide a platform that facilitates and advocates students’ voices in order to improve RISD.

Department Reps and Graduate Department Liaisons work with the Executive Boards to represent all students and majors on issues that matter to students. Town Hall meetings are a chance for all students to actively participate in the RISD Community.

+Where do RISD students live?

The RISD Office of Residence Life offers a wide variety of on-campus housing options to first year, upperclass and grad students. Students who are qualified to live off-campus, and choose to do so, can work with Residential Life to ensure the best possible outcome, but per Residential Life, "RISD expects all first-year and second-year students to live on campus. Those students who are married, will turn 21 years of age before September 1st, or plan to live at home locally with their parents, may request a waiver of this requirement by contacting the Residence Life Office at We define 'home' as the parent(s)’ place of legal domicile."

+What emergency health services are available in case of illness or injury?

A registered nurse is on duty through RISD Health Services Monday-Friday, 8:30am-8:30pm; Saturday, 9am-5pm; and certain holidays, 12-7:30pm. Health Services is closed on Sunday. A physician is on call every day and is in the office for one “sick call” hour each weekday. If there’s an emergency when the Health Services office is closed, students are instructed to call the Department of Public Safety, located within the Freshman Residence Hall complex. A trained officer will then respond with treatment or arrange for transportation to an appropriate medical facility.

+What resources are available for learning-disabled students?

RISD has a Writing Center, where students may get feedback on their papers for liberal arts classes. Tutors are also available to assist students with class notes and assignments. Students in need of additional assistance may visit Disability Support Services (DSS), where staff members will assist with accommodations for RISD students who have either cognitive (learning) or physical disabilities. 

+Will RISD help me find a job after graduation?

The RISD Career Center offers a comprehensive program of one-on-one counseling, portfolio reviews, seminars and other targeted events aimed at helping undergraduates, graduate students and alumni translate their creativity into meaningful and rewarding careers.  Career counselors also offer support in entrepreneurial education and in the areas of grants, fellowships and residencies. Among its many helpful online resources, the Center manages ArtWorks, which connects employers with students and alumni for jobs, internships and other career opportunities.

+Where do Interior Architecture alumni work?

BFA alumni are employed in architectural firms around the country. They include firms such as CBT Boston, Elkus Manfredi Boston, Richard Meier & Partners NYC, Robert Stern NYC, and Yabu Pushelberg NYC. Many BFA alumni pursue graduate education in Architecture and design related fields including Historic Preservation, Sustainability, Media Arts, and Business at institutions including Babson College, the Bartlett (UK), Catholic University, Columbia University, Harvard University, and University of Pennsylvania.

MA alumni typically return to architectural practice. The majority of the MDes alumni enter professional architectural practice while a minority pursue an academic career, attend graduate school (for MArch or PhD), enter into Exhibition Design or pursue an affiliated design career. Alumni of the graduate programs practice at many different offices, including Arquitectonica, BIG, Cannon, Foster & Partners, Gensler, NBBJ, OMA, Perkins & Will, Shepley Bulfinch, SOM. Those who go into teaching have gone to Brown University, HongKong Polytechnic, and Yale University. Those who have pursued additional graduate education have attended: Columbia GSAPP, Harvard GSD, University of Pennsylvania, Virginia Tech, and Yale University. Those in Exhibition design have practiced at: the Guggenheim, the Mathaf Arabic Museum of Modern Art, and the Smithsonian. Those in affiliated design practices include architectural photography, jewelry design, furniture design, sculpture and installation art.